Sophomore Starts Varsity

Veronica Quinn Tackles being an Underclassmen on the Chaska Varsity Girls Basketball Team

Kathryn Gunderson, Journalism Staff

Up by just 2 points in overtime against their biggest rival Chanhassen, when it seemed unlikely Chaska would pull through with just 3 minutes left, Veronica Quinn, a sophomore, launched a 3 point shot and swished it to give Chaska a lead of 5 and secure their win.  

Coming off of an exciting win, Chaska High School girls basketball now stands 9-4 in their conference with a big game against Jefferson coming up to determine their seed in playoffs.  The head coach of the girl’s basketball team, Tara Seifert has said that “The record doesn’t show how great of a team we are.” Coach Seifert is excited for postseason play with new young members of the Varsity team.  She relies on the sophomore, Veronica Quinn, to deliver a great performance on the court each game looking ahead to playoffs.  New to the Varsity team as of last year, Quinn has had a fair amount of playing time this year earning herself a starting spot on varsity.  

To her a spot on Varsity is “an honor, growing up I watched them play and being that I see younger kids come and watch me, it is just very humbling.”  Joined by underclassmen teammates, Kaylee VanEps and Destiny Bursch (both eighth graders), Chaska girls basketball is said to be one of the top teams coming up in the conference by the Minnesota State High School League.  Quinn starts as a wing player, but can also control the point with her distinguished dribbling skills.  According to her coaches and teammate Marissa Grothe, Quinn is a well-rounded player that can take control in any position or situation.  On both ends of the floor she does an “excellent job defending, rebounding, passing and has a mean shot that can beat the buzzer in any game” says teammate Marissa Grothe (10th grader on Varsity).  

Quinn is confident in her team, she knows that when she is on the bench that they will contribute and give their best.  She highlights the eighth grader that starts with her on varsity, Kaylee VanEps.  Quinn says “she’s always stood out, for her age, height and athletic ability.”  VanEps is already on the road towards a successful future like her teammate Quinn.  In practices, they both push each other to do their best by giving their best.  Although Quinn is not nervous about VanEps taking her spot, she insightfully says that she is  “confident in her abilities as a leader- not to come off cocky at all, but when you play and start playing at a higher level younger, like I sort of am, you kind of earn your spot, and if you don’t do anything to lose your spot and continue to get better and help the team there is no real reason to lose your spot, and if that’s not me then I just have to work harder.”  

With all the underclassmen talent receiving playing time, Quinn reveals that the upperclassmen have been very welcoming and accepting towards them.  With spaghetti dinners before Thursday games, having the senior Natalie Starr dance in the locker room after winning games, and captain Sarah Althaus give speeches at the end of games Quinn says the team has become very close and bonded through practices and these times together.  Captain and senior Sarah Althaus, adds that Quinn’s “energy is infectious” and that she “has a chance to be a great leader.”  Althaus is one of the players Quinn has watched since a young age and now is playing right up there with her.  

Two years ahead in high school, Quinn hopes to improve her shot and become a consistent scorer for the team.  She also hopes to one day be captain just like Althaus.  Looking towards a life after college, Quinn wants to continue her basketball career in college as well as softball (varsity), she is looking for what college offers the most scholarships and lets her play at the highest level.  As for the next two years in High School, Coach Seifert says that “Next year should be ‘very successful’ and a ‘winning year’ with the rising underclassmen.”  In 2010 Chaska girls basketball went to state and placed 3rd.  Coach Seifert believes that Quinn can lead this team to state in years to come.  The community of Chaska has the opportunity to watch Veronica Quinn contribute for the text two years.