Helping the Team Win, One Goal at a Time

Jacob Mapstone, Journalism Staff

Noah Cvetnic, Soccer Leader in Multiple Ways

He wears the number eleven. Whether it be by chance or fate, his number represents freshman soccer captain Noah Cvetnic’s outlook on soccer very well. On a traditional high school soccer field, there are eleven players from a team on the field at the same time. For Noah, the number eleven represents how the team’s success comes before any personal achievement.  

Noah’s wants to be a good captain. But how does a good captain act and do? A good captain needs to “Motivate people to do their best, both on and off the field,” according to Cvetnic. “ You need to stand up for yourself and others.” Noah says that those qualities make a good captain, both on and off the field. Many of Cvetnic’s friends and teammates describe Noah as brave and strong. Freshman friend, Donnie Dorholt, said of Noah, “He knows what to do in difficult situations.” Dorholt does not play soccer, but sees a good leader in Cvetnic and says that Noah is cool under pressure.

Noah also has the support of his teammates. Fellow freshman teammate, Reese Willems, said that Noah was chosen to be a captain because he was brave enough to volunteer himself for that responsibility. Noah was chosen as a captain by freshman coach Grant Steine right before the first game. Noah says that he was chosen as captain because he “ Had a good speech.” But a good captain needs to do more than speak in front of the team, they also need to lead. Cvetnic’s ability to lead on the field has been noticed by his teammates. Freshman Defensive Midfielder Marc Dufresne said that a good captain needs to guide the team through difficult situations. He later goes on to say that Noah shows the capacity to lead both on and off the field.

Noah has performed well this season scoring eight goals in ten games so far. Playing both striker and left outside midfielder, Noah has helped the team to a 8-1-1 record so far. One of the reasons for the team’s success, according to Cvetnic, is that the team has really passed well. Those passes lead to more scoring chances which leads to more goals. And more goals lead to a winning record, such as the 8-1-1 record that the Hawks have posted so far. But passing is not the only reason for the team’s success. Cvetnic also attributes the team’s success to the players on the team being selfless. Reese Willems says that the team has communicated well, which leads to more fluent play. Dufresne attests  to that and adds that the team really works well together and gets the play done.

But it’s not all about the scoring. When asked how many goals he wants to score this year, he said, “As many that are needed to help the team win.” He chooses to forget personal achievements and instead focuses on the team. That mentality is the true mentality of a captain.

Noah began playing soccer “since I was born.” He grew up thinking that soccer looked fun and eventually gave it a try. He entered CC United (Chaska Chanhassen United) a soccer recreational league for kids age nine to eighteen. This organization taught him how to play soccer, and he has been playing ever since. Noah’s favorite soccer memory was scoring his first goal in CC United. Since then, he has scored many goals.

Noah hopes to help the team win their remaining games. With three games left in the season, Cvetnic wishes to score goals, but ultimately wants to win more than anything. Noah isn’t just a soccer star though, he also plans to play basketball this winter. Noah has a lot of preparation to do, but if his mindset is the same for basketball as it is for soccer, then his team will succeed.

From his first goal for CC United to his most recent goal this year, Cvetnic has always led, both on and off the field.