An Uphill Battle Leading to a Rewarding Future

Angela Torntore, Journalism Staff

How Ellie Bemis keeps fighting every day

There are around 308,016 soldiers currently serving in the air force. The number of nurses is decreasing steadily, causing the need for more healthcare providers.

Ellie Bemis, a Chaska High School senior has always had the traits of a strong yet fair leader. The difference between her and other determined personalities is that Ellie likes to put her skills to use. Ever since her junior year, she has been involved in the school’s cross country running team. Being the leader she is, she decided to take position of the team manager. “I’m managing so I can be involved in a team aspect in a leadership way without straining my body with the extensive activity,” Ellie said. “I am finding other ways to stay in shape and meet the military fitness standards.” She understands that this will not only keep her involved, but help her with her future communication and leadership skills.  While Ellie still has a demanding  12+ hour a week job, she knows that it’s important to continue with helping the team in many ways. “Without Ellie,” said current sophomore runner Olivia Anderson, “the team wouldn’t have the much needed water during long runs, and workouts. There would be one less smiling, positive face at practice, and the coaches wouldn’t be able to be as focused on the team.” Ellie’s free spirit and positive attitude are what keeps the cross country team running so smoothly.

Just like everyone, though, Ellie had to start somewhere. She began her middle school career swimming for a school in Cloquet, MN since 7th grade. Around her sophomore year, she moved to Chaska and continued to swim. While this was happening, Ellie had other things to think about. When she was two, her parents got a divorce. “When I was younger,” Ellie explained, “ it didn’t effect me much because it was all I had ever known. As I got older and my mom became mentally unstable, I spent more time with my dad because that’s where I’m comfortable.” Ellie also mentioned her mom was somewhere safe where she can heal and become herself again. Although this was difficult, this helped her become the person she is today. “My time in high school has taught me how to deal with difficult people and how to manage my time to complete a wide range of tasks.” Through all the internal and external battles she faced, she never gave up on her future.

There have been so many challenges in Ellie’s life, it’s helped her become prepared for  taking the burden and lifestyle of a nurse in the air force. This is her goal, and she is excited for the journey it will take her on. Ellie is planning to go to either Clemson University, or the University of Missouri to learn the basics of military training. “In college class,” Ellie said, “we will have 5-7 hours a week including basic military knowledge such as marching and saluting, leadership skills and a few aero classes.” It was easy to tell that Ellie is very passionate about these opportunities by just hearing the way she talks about them. Ellie mentioned what she was looking forward to, which included traveling around the world and being in communication with well developed and intelligent people. She has never second doubted herself, and has not thought about doing something else. “Once I decided, I was positive that’s what I wanted to do with my future.”

It seems as though Ellie completely understands what she is doing, and cherishes the idea of it. She is putting time and effort- basically her whole life- into helping these soldiers. Putting aside the thoughts of doubts and fear, she makes the number of healthcare providers go up, assisting not just any person, but someone who is fighting for our country. With many other important factors impacting Ellie’s decision, she included not only the thought of helping soldiers, but their families too. “Being around a higher level of people and becoming a well established nurse who contributes a lot to soldiers and their families.” This idea means much to her because her own uncle is in the air force. Ellie’s mind is made up about being her own person. Even through all the difficulties she has faced and overcome, it only fueled her determination to have a successful future.